Posted by : Asia Sansalone Sunday, November 2, 2014

Am I Otaku???



From earlier posts, you all know that I have a strong lovre for anime, particularly Studio Ghibli. I recently came across the word OTAKU, pretty much meaning you are obsessed with everything and anything anime related. I know I had a strong pull toward anime, especially now that I've discovered a whole new world of subtitled goodness, but I never had a "label" to go by.

I never really cared, I just loved anime. However, when I discovered what otaku meant I felt like I fit in that description pretty well.


When I was five years old, during the good ole VHS days, my mother would take me to the local video rental store and every time, it never failed, I would run straight to the foreign section and pick up my favorite movie (still in my top 5 list by the way) which happened to be Studio Ghibli's magical movie "Totoro." Mind you this copy of the movie was completely in Japanese and although it had subtitles what 5 year old is that fantastic of a speed reader? So basically I had know idea what was going on dialog wise but I loved it. I loved it so much I got irritated feedback when it was the only movie I ever wanted to watch.

After, thinking for a while I realized that anime had been a huge part of my childhood and has still stood the test of time.

Next in progression in my life was being obsessed with Digimon. Augumon was my favorite character, probably influenced by my passion of reptiles. I even had one of those digimon digivices where you could battle your friends on the play ground.
Then of course I fell in love with Pokemon. This has been one of my childhood loves that has followed me into adulthood. (Currently writing this in a starter pokemon blanket) I remember collecting cards and I still have a large collection today. I played Pokemon red and other pokemon games always ready for the next game to be released. (Yes I already have the demo for omega)



Then as I grew older I was allowed to stay up later. Thats the best, getting your bed time extended. I ran into the discovery of Toonami broadcast late at night and my love for Gundam Wing and Sailor Moon. I think Gundam Wing was partly influenced by Power Rangers too. Haha.

Presently, I own all of the Ghibli collection and rewatch them on a regular bases. After Netflix entered my life I was thrown into a plethora of anime goodness. Of course I would watch anime night on cartoon network but its not the same being able to watch a whole season in one day!



I just finished a rather dark type anime called Tokyo Ghoul. ( i finished it on Halloween, a good end to a creepy Holiday i think) I really liked it and in the past month I have watched Ghost Hunt, Vampire Knight, Vampire Knight Guilty, and some other bits and pieces of anime.

It really has become a familiar world to me and I am in love with my obsession. What a wonderful world of fans too! So yes, after much thinking, I really do think I am OKATU!!



Do you consider yourself an obsessive lover of anime? I always love to watch new ones (particularly  dark ominous types) Please share!! I would love to see your top 10 lists!

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Welcome to My Blog

Popular Post

Portfolio/Websites

https://www.behance.net/MetalMetazoan https://www.radioactivereptiles.org

- Copyright © For the Love of Nerd -Robotic Notes- Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -